Saturday, August 13, 2011

Shower The People



Awareness is a good thing, and, when it comes to Cancer, knowing the signs and symptoms to watch for and early detection can literally be a matter of life and death.  

However, what really inspires me right now are groups that provide something tangible.  I like it when a group’s motto reflects my dad’s philosophy of LESS TALK, MORE ACTION, or, as my niece says, “Let’s quit talking about it and DO THIS THING!!”

I just found out about a nonprofit organization that I want to support and spread the word about, The Cancer Card Xchange.  This is basically a one-woman show, and so, unlike the big organizations to which we typically think to give our money, none of the donation money goes to overhead.  

The group was started and is run by Emily Thomas, who was diagnosed with cancer while she was pregnant with her fourth child.  After successful surgery and years of vigilance, she is now considered to be cancer-free.


And so, if you, like me, are roused to support this worthy cause, or, if you, like me, personally know someone who is battling Cancer who needs to have their spirit lifted in this way, here is the website:

Check it out, consider it, give it some thought, put it on your To Do List, because, as Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said (and I’m pretty sure he was really referring to men and women here), “The life of a man consists not in seeing visions and in dreaming dreams, but in active charity and in willing service.”



2 comments:

  1. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Emily Thomas
    www.cancercardxchange.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! super sweet. Love CCX & Love your blog - a dear friend of ours died last year from Glioblastoma...tragic.

    ReplyDelete