Thursday, June 7, 2012

Time – Part 4


Continued from Time - Part 3



Last year on Father’s Day, I was resolute in my determination not to fall apart despite the fact that it was my first without my dad.  I wanted to honor my husband, who is a spectacular father, and I wanted to be able to hold it together so that those around me would think I was improving in my ability to cope with my grief.  

With the help of my teenaged daughters, the first part was easy, and it helped me to stay busy so that I could address the second part.  In the middle of that afternoon, we decided to go over to my in-laws’ house to give my father-in-law (my husband’s stepfather) a Father’s Day card.  We already had a gift for him but still needed a card to go with it, and so I asked my husband to stop at Walgreen’s and let me run in to get a card on the way to their house.  

I entered the store through the sliding glass doors and went straight to the greeting card aisle.  And that’s where I lost it.  As I stood there unabashedly crying in front of the special section of Father’s Day cards, I could hear the sound of a ticking clock, even more loudly than I had been hearing it since my dad’s diagnosis, filling my head.  My husband, realizing I had been in the store too long, came in and found me, pieced me together the best he could, and walked me back to the car.  As we had done since my dad went on ahead five months earlier, we muddled through somehow, sad but putting one foot in front of the other because that’s what has to be done.

In the last year, I honestly don’t think my grief has gotten any better (no stupid NEW NORMAL for me!), but I do think it has changed.  But one thing that hasn’t changed is the sound of that damn ticking clock.  Or maybe it’s a timer on a bomb.  Or one of those metronome things that used to drive me half-insane during the piano lessons I took as a child.  Whatever it is, I hate it.  I hate that I have that sound in my head; I hate that I have the knowledge that things won’t always be even as “ok” as they are right now.  I hate that I often don’t feel safe, because in a single minute two Octobers ago, life as I knew it dropped off the edge of a cliff, and everything I believed in was called into question.  When things became unbalanced, when I lost control – wait, correction, when I learned that there really is no control to be had over anything in life except maybe our perspective.  



And sometimes even controlling that is not entirely possible to do, especially for me now with that noise in my head and the knowledge that I needed more time with my dad!  Time while he was healthy, time to take care of him while he was sick.  Time to figure out ways to ensure that each new day would be one that he would look forward to because of the joy it could bring, rather than one to dread or to fear or even just to tolerate.  I wanted him to be able to close his eyes and smile peacefully, but he didn’t close his eyes very often and when he did, he wore more of a grimace or at least a look of worry.  As much as fucking cancer stole my dad, it also stole my chance to have enough time to make his last bit of time not just bearable but joyful for him – he didn’t get the cherry on top and for that I will always be resentful and remorseful.

And that’s the tough thing about grief: in the process, we are forced to learn to live without givens, in the midst of chaos and with the sadness and the anger mixed in.  We have to learn to focus on the good while at the same time knowing that doing so won’t make up for what happened or quiet the ticking noise or bring meaning to our loss.  As we flail and struggle and fight over what happened and about what needs to be done in light of it going forward, may we not forget the sustaining beauty that exists in every moment we are privileged to live on this earth.  Even the dark ones.




“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. I want to put a ding in the universe." ~Steve Jobs




1 comment:

  1. My dad died unexpectedly in July. He had plenty of times when we expected him to die in ICU, but he always made it through them. Miraculously. Death is definitely unpredictable.

    I remember the Father's Day right before my dad passed. His gifts were still not used and I had to return them. I guess I didn't have to, but there was no point in keeping them and my brother didn't want them.

    Then, the following Father's Day, I knew my dad was dead, but it obviously hadn't sunk in yet, because I was in Hallmark for some reason, and bought a Father's Day card for Daddy and a book. Not until I had made it out of the parking garage did I realize what I had purchased. It was a strange feeling. I also caught myself wondering what to give my dad for Christmas and his birthday after he passed.

    I guess for 28 years he was always a HUGE part of my life and these last 3 years have been like breaking a habit, like quitting smoking. In this case, I am forced to change my routine to break my habit of spoiling my dad. It sucks. It really does.

    My only peace is knowing that God is watching over him and I am sure he made it to Heaven and is not in any pain. I know my dad watches over me as I lose my patience with my mother (she can be a little whack at times and she is VERY scatter brained). I can hear him telling me to just think about something else. I constantly hear his words of wisdom that he told me throughout my life.
    I hope my daddy watches over me if I ever have my first child, since he didn't get to meet his grandchildren from me. I try and remind my niece of the many memories I have of him and she has a few herself so that he lives on in our family even in his absence. I even heard my niece telling her friend/sister, showing off the music boxes my dad made....

    Death makes the living appreciate all the little things in life and really puts into perspective, for me at least, what is truly important, like popping popcorn and watching a movie with my nieces who unexpectedly arrived, instead of finishing my to-do list that has several more hours of work to check off. I feel like I will probably not get all my list done but I have had a wonderful time with my nieces instead.

    An Irish Blessing -
    We cannot share a sorrow,
    If we haven't grieved a while.
    Nor can we feel another's joy,
    Until we've learned to smile.

    ReplyDelete